If you need a healthy alternative to spaghetti, try this simple Quinoa with Chicken and Turkey Meat Sauce recipe. It’ll be a instant hit!
Spaghetti is a common family favorite but I decided to mix things up and add a highly popular healthy grain to a traditional dish. Quinoa has been on the market for quite some time however it’s become the star of a dish for those that are a bit more health conscious. This unique grain is very versatile and can go from breakfast to dinner. Today I’m sharing my personal recipe that was a hit with the family, hopefully it will be a hit in your home too. Here’s the recipe:
Quinoa With Chicken & Turkey Meat Sauce
1 cup of Premium Quinoa
2 cups of water
4 chicken tenderloins
1/2 cup Jennie-O Lean Ground Turkey Meat (I accidentally used breakfast sausage but it still came out tasty!)
1/2 diced green pepper
1/2 diced onion
1/2 cup diced portobello mushrooms
1 can of fire roasted tomatoes
1/2 jar of Classico Pizza Sauce (or your favorite brand of pasta sauce. Classico is one of my favorites)
Spices are the most important part of any dish. I generally eyeball the amount. The below are some approximate measurements. Use to your desired tastes.
1 tbs Garlic Powder
1 tbs Onion Powder
1 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
Old Bay Garlic & Herb Seasoning
salt & pepper to taste
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. While water is boiling, in a large skillet add a few drops of olive oil and set to a medium high heat.
- Once the pan is at a desired temperature, cook chicken tenderloins for a few minutes. Try to avoid over cooking. 2 minutes per side is the recommended time. Remove chicken from the pan, set aside for a few minutes to redistribute the juices.
- Add quinoa to the pot of boiling water. Cover and cook on low heat. Cook the quinoa similar to how you cook rice.
- In the same pan that you cooked the chicken, add the ground turkey meat. Cook throughly. Add green peppers, onions and mushrooms. Cook until vegetables are translucent. In the meantime, add garlic & onion powder, Old Bay Garlic & Herb seasoning red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and oregano. Stir to avoid sticking. After a few minutes add roasted tomatoes, ketchup and sauce.
- Check the quinoa to see if the majority of the water is absorbed. Add Old Bay Garlic & Herb Seasoning and a pinch of salt.
- Now that the chicken is cooled off dice into cubes and add the the sauce. Simmer on a medium low heat for another 5-10 minutes.
- Remove quinoa from stove but keep covered until ready to serve.
- Once sauce is done, plate it like spaghetti!
- Garnish with parmesan cheese and parsley.
Yum! Try this recipe, leave a comment and post how it turned out. Make sure to include a drool-worthy picture.